Manitoba Land Initiative provides a lot of free GIS data for Manitoba. Unfortunately, one thing they don’t provide is a Polygon theme showing quarter sections.
Here are instructions for creating a quarter section polygon theme from MLI data
- Use DNR Arcview tools merge section lines and quarter section lines (output temp.shp)
- Use Polylines to polygons extension to create a polygon theme from temp.shp -> (output temp2.shp)
- Make sure qsec_num_text.shp is open
- Use Geoprocessing wizard to assign data by location to qsec_num_text.shp from temp2.shp
- Open qsec_num_text.shp’s table, export to dbase format -> temp3.dbf
- Add table temp3.dbf to project
- Choose id field in temp3 and temp.shp’s table and do a join
- You can now choose convert to shapefile to get a polygon theme showing quarter sections.
Feel free to email me with questions.